Monday, September 30, 2013

Full Cornrows

A few weeks ago, I cornrowed Scholar's hair and discovered that his summer hair cut was grown out. Better yet, his baby bald spot had grown in and the hair was about 2 inches long!

While this was exciting, it presented a problem. It had been several weeks since I had done any cornrows. I have been stuck on palm coils, which I absolutely love! (You can check out how we do palm coils HERE and how we care for palm coils during a week HERE.) So, I had not noticed that his hair had grown out so much. When I finished the top of his hair, it looked rather silly because the sides and back were all puffy. It looked like an old man's head with a bald spot on top and hair fluffing out at the sides. OK for an old man, but not for my two year old! I had started cornrowing with one plan (to only cornrow the top) and had to come up with a new plan to finish cornrowing the rest of his hair unless I wanted him to look like a tiny old man!

Thus, my introduction to freestyle cornrowing. It was not truly freestyle, since I did develop some sort of plan and planned it out to be somewhat symmetrical. But I did plan on-the-fly, so to speak, so I like to believe this was at least a small step into freestyling. Which, if you know anything about me, is a scary thing. I like to have things planned out and I very much (that may be an understatement) like to have things orderly - AKA symmetrical, straight lines, PLANNED.

This is how it turned out...

The top - This is what I planned to do and be done.

Right side, front - I began making cornrows along the side, going toward the back of his head. There was not enough room on the back of his head for all of the cornrows to fit. At least not the way I had started, so I had to join up some of the rows. I took two rows that were already started and, at the place where I wanted them to join, I continued the cornrow with one, while adding the three sections from the other into the row instead of picking up new hair. After joining the two rows, I continued in one row to the back.

Left side, front - I had to join several rows together on this side to make it work. I love how it turned out! It gave the style so much character and added an extra dimension to the style.
I will be experimenting with joining rows more in the future.

Back, left side - My parts were not perfect, but I tried to keep the rows parallel to each other and about the same width. You can see where some of the rows joined up together.

Back, right side - I tried to make this side symmetrical with the left side in the back.
I did a little better with the parts on this side.
The style held up fairly well, though the rows broke in a few places on the back after only a day or so. The hair is only about 2-2.5 inches long, so it does not hold as well as longer hair. Also, Scholar got an itchy spot on the back that he kept scratching and pulled out a few rows in a small area. I was able to repair those rows and he had the style for about 2 weeks with only a few minor breaks in the rows that were likely not noticeable to anyone but myself.

I am excited that I can cornrow all of his hair now, but it does take more time. I now have to plan to do his hair over a whole day or on two separate days so he does not have to sit for too long at a time. He can usually sit for about 30-40 minutes while watching one of his favorite shows (he only gets to watch TV when he gets his hair done or on very rare occasions otherwise, so it is a special treat that keeps his attention). We take breaks whenever needed which makes it all take longer, but I try not to stress either of us out with long sessions of sitting.

I like how these cornrows turned out and I want to try to duplicate them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment